We'll be building up a list of places of interest local to The Fighting Cocks that registered users can rate. This will help visitors to the area find the best places to go and might even provide some inspiration for us locals too. If you want more information on any of these, why not pop in and see us - we might have some further literature, advice or even discount tickets for some of them.
Ironbridge Gorge Museum
Once described as "the most extraordinary district in the world", the Ironbridge Gorge is still a remarkable, and beautiful, place to visit today. A huge amount of early industry survives as furnaces, factories, workshops, canals and the settlements of Coalbrookdale, Ironbridge, Jackfield and Coalport.
The Birthplace of Industry
There are ten award-winning Museums spread along the valley beside the wild River Severn - still spanned by the world's first Iron Bridge.
See the products that set industry on its path and the machines that made them. Watch and talk to the Museums' craftsmen and costumed demonstrators as they work iron, fashion china and glass, and bring alive the people who lived and worked here.
To find our more about the Ironbridge Gorge please visit http://www.ironbridge.org.uk
The construction of the Ludlow Castle started around 1085, with many later additions in the following two centuries. It is one of the most interesting castles in the Marches, in a dominant and imposing position high above the river Teme. It features examples of architecture from the Norman, Medieval and Tudor periods. The building of the castle led to the development of Ludlow itself, at first grouped around the castle; the impressive ruins of the castle occupy the oldest part of Ludlow.
In the late 12th and early 13th centuries the castle was extended, and part of the grid pattern of streets immediately to the south was obscured by the enlarged outer bailey. From 1233 onwards the town walls were constructed; Ludlow Castle stood within the circuit of the walls.
Ludlow Castle has played a key role in some turbulent events in English history. One of its 14th-century owners, Roger Mortimer, helped his mistress Queen Isabella, in the overthrow of her husband King Edward II. In 1473, the Prince of Wales and his brother were held here before their mysterious death in the Tower of London. In 1502 Prince Arthur, Henry VII's son and heir to the throne, died at Ludlow.
For further information on Ludlow Castle please visit http://www.ludlow.org.uk/ludlowcastle.html
Tradition has it that in the fourteenth century soldiers from Ludlow Castle came here to match their horses. There is certainly a record of racing in 1725.
The course retains its strong Edwardian character and also a strong club atmosphere. Now a National Hunt course, jumping started in the mid- nineteenth century.
For a full list of fixtures in 2016 please refer to http://www.ludlowracecourse.co.uk/fixtures2016.htm
Severn Valley Railway
The Severn Valley Railway is a full-size standard-gauge railway line, running regular, mainly steam-hauled, passenger trains between Kidderminster in Worcestershire and Bridgnorth in Shropshire, a distance of approximately sixteen miles.
A remarkable feature of the Railway is that it is very largely run by unpaid volunteers, with a paid staff of around 70 people responsible for administration and commercial activities, plus regular track and rolling stock maintenance.
Through the year, volunteers appear on the Railway to perform many tasks, including repairing and repainting stations, reconstruction of viaducts and bridges, and rebuilding locomotives and rolling stock, not to mention operating the trains!
For more information on The Severn Valley Railway please visit http://www.svr.co.uk.
St Mary's Church Stottesdon
This church was described by Pevsner as “one of the most important churches in the district”. The oldest building in Stottesdon, St Mary's Church is pre-Norman with parts that may date at 450 CE, although the bulk of the church is post-Norman. The churchyard contains the war graves of three British soldiers of World War I.
A centre of worship and prayer for almost 1000 years and still in regular use, Grade 1 Listed – the Saxon Tympanum, Norman Font and Medieval tiles are remarkable - and complement the churchyard’s solitude and superb views west to the Clee Hills.